I finally get it. I finally understand.
They were more than friends.
These were people I lived with.
They were my family when my family wasn’t there.
They were the ones worrying about me when my family didn’t.
They were the ones who watched me cry and hugged me goodnight.
The ones that made disgusting drinks for me when I was sick
They made me laugh when I was crying,
They bought me presents on my birthday when my family didn’t remember it.
The ones I had arguments with,
The ones I fought with.
I am too bossy, too emotional, selfish and cruel,
And they knew that. They stayed with me.
They were more than just my friends,
They were my family.
The only ones I had after so many years.
Life is unfair;
But life gave me these rare, unusual friends.
Life has been kind to me.
Such a blessed life,
Should be lived;
Knowing that they’re smiling,
And hoping that I’m smiling too.